The Point Roberts Water District (PRWD) was originally formed as Whatcom County Water District #4 on the 3rd of December 1956. The majority of the pipe distribution system was installed under the formation of Utility Local Improvement Districts (ULID), primarily between 1960 and 1980.
Prior to 1987, Point Roberts Water District had a limited water supply drawn from local wells. These wells were not adequately equipped to facilitate the increasing water demands of the community and so, in 1988, the District completed negotiations with the Greater Vancouver Water District (GVWD) to obtain an allotment of 840,000 gallons of water per day, to be supplied from a reservoir located in Delta, British Columbia.
Point Roberts Water District currently provides service to approximately 2300 connections in the community of Point Roberts.